Lotus - surviving life & remaining pure to urself

Sunday, June 17, 2007

Nasty patient

I think the stress has got on top of me.One more night, then I will be having my break.

Had a nasty wicked little old lady who come to A&E with an intention to get IV morphine for her painful hip..Discharged from ortho wards last week, refuse to take her paracetamol and tramadol - because it doesn't work.If you didn't take your painkillers,of course it won't work, right. I have to be very firm with her, big NO iv morphine. And she started spitting her venom on me. Her words hits a nerve on me and it really hurts; and I have to stop the consultation and walked away and I wept. My colleague has been brilliant, he took over and somehow he managed to make her drink the po morphine, which according to her taste like poison. I don't usually take offence of what patients said, but this little witch isn't drunk and is fully conscious of what she said.

We managed to get her old medical notes for her recent admission. And found she is bloody lying to me!We send her home anyway. A&E is not pain clinic, and we have limitation with what we can offer.If you not taking painkillers, of course it doesn't work!


Accident & Emergency in UK is hard - not in the sense of clinical work itself; but patients behaviour over here is, a lot of them can get very verbally abusive to medical staffs (paramedics,nurses,doctors).We take everythings- drunks,IVDU,prisoners, self-harmer, people who couldn't be bothered to take paracetamol,diabetic who couldn't be bothered taking insulin, COPD on oxygen and still smoking away etc..someone who really ills doesn't really make the big proportion in A&E attendance.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home