Lotus - surviving life & remaining pure to urself

Saturday, March 12, 2005

An unfortunate event and my travel disasters

This is published with Elly's permission.

I went to picked her up at King's Cross train station last night. I was getting anxious when all passengers have emerged, and still no signs of her. Didn't help by the fact that I left my mobile phone at home (forgot to put it in my bag when I left in rush to Newham Hospital - woke up late!). At the end, she emerged from the train, looking terribly upset. "Huda, I lost my luggage!". We went to customer services, called here and there, come back this early morning to check on a luggage that a drunk passenger from York (Friday night - bad Brits drinking culture) has mistakenly took. His own luggages were left on the train and travelled all the way to London. Turned out not her luggage, so she left to Malaysia with no luggage. I think she is alright by now, and we are keeping our finger crossed that her bags will turn up in near future. Drawing from both of our experiences and customer services advises, bags rarely got stolen. Europeans + British are honest like that.Usually they got lost because people took them by mistakes, especially bags that look identical eg: black bag with wheels!Anyway, still, losing bags before your home flight is terrible!

I have had my series of unfortunate travelling disaster which include:

- Lost my flight ticket home.
- Left my luggage in an airport bus. A highly embarrassing experience that make me cringe every time and drew laughter from everyone who knows about it.
- Stranded in Amsterdam airport, luckily with hubby. Bad weather, and they have re-route our flight home which involve another transit in Singaapore.
- Missed my flight because I missed the check-in desk by 2 minutes. Spent one hour crying in the toilet.
- A custom officer who is suspicious of my new Malaysian passport because he never see one before. I was the only Asian passenger in a flight full of Europeans.
- Having to sleep in airports due to miscalculations of events.
- Bag went missing because the cargo accidentally left it in Amsterdam.

My advice - Calm down. Airport/Train/Buses staffs are usually helpful.

2 Comments:

  • oooh i always get butterflies in my stomach before travelling, lagi jauh lagi tension. i will start packing a week in advance and get everything prepared. so far nothing spectacular like yr experience.

    By Blogger atenah, at 1:38 PM  

  • I consider myself to be quite organised, nonetheless these misfortunes still befalled me. These days,I tried to travel as light as possible.

    Additionally, since my holidays is always a short one, I tend to travel on the night or next day early morning flight after work/class etc, in an attempt to prolong holiday time!

    By Blogger Lotus, at 3:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home