Lotus - surviving life & remaining pure to urself

Friday, January 14, 2005

My ward

I went to my first ward round with Gastro team last week. It is quite something.

More than half of patients we saw have serious alcohol and liver problem.

There is one patient of ethnic minorities (who I think Muslim btw) who has a serious alcohol problem to the extent the consultant no longer bothered to put him into Detox programme. Everytime they started him on Detox, he come back running to the hospital with a bottle of vodka in his hand. Mind you, doctors rarely want to give up on their patients. It has to be really bad. I don't know how many times they have tried Detox; I didn't ask. And he has proper delirium tremens.

I also saw encephalopathy secondary to chronic liver disease due to gain, alcohol. She has proper reversal of sleeping pattern.

One interesting case where patient developed septic shock secondary to E.coli. Rare.

Uh,uh...I was fortunate enough to saw hereditary haemorrhagic telangiectasia (Osler-Weber-Rendu) case - in fact, I clerked her in Prof. Kumar clinic.

Mr X is a real gentleman. He has recurrent DVT and PE due to Protein C deficiency. I did encounter some similar cases in the past.

I am going to miss this place.

P/S: I bag the PRHO post that I want (not in London, of course) ! Alhamdulillah.


1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home