Lotus - surviving life & remaining pure to urself

Monday, January 17, 2005

Please don't make me feel bad

I have become less and less happy to tell my London colleagues (medics and non-medics)that I choose to work outside London.Somehow they make me feel that I am making a wrong career decision. I know I am not.

So unhappy that when Prof. Kumar complimented my history taking and notes writing,it fails to cheer me up. I smiled though (but my heart still feels heavy).

I know my heart is not in London anymore, I have stopped wanting to be here - I want to go somewhere else. I yearn for a bit of country side and fresh air. Here, every where I stare are buildings, buses, and cars. I used to live with my grandfather and grandmother in a paddy field village, and it has been one of the best time in my life. I still remember the feeling of freedom and free when I cycle as fast as I can in the jungle path. No one care if you are wearing a branded clothes or watches like in the city, we all just want have a good time - fishing, cycling, picking fruits.

Working in London is seriously busy (by admission of a SHO Dundee graduate working in London) - most PRHO work really hard, sometimes go home at 12 midnite (since need to clear all the backlogged documentation), and have to turn up 8 am the next morning. Patients are not always friendly, well, prepare for a huge load of drunken antics, stabbing, victims of attack, and overdose when doing on-call. Some of them have difficulty understanding any English at all. - I remember try taking history from this Viatnamese woman and her rather unhelpful son. Patients are often a lot more sicker (almost like in 3rd world countries, honest!).

Don't get me started on living costs in this city.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home