Lotus - surviving life & remaining pure to urself

Friday, April 22, 2005

Ethics in medicine

We were taught by an American ethicist at medical school. How much it has influenced me, I don't know.

Let's take an example - patient requesting abortion:

on religious ground - I oppose

as UK health professional - since I have a personal agenda on abortion, the next best practice is referring the patient to other health professional who has no personal issue in it. I will not coerce patient to say no (that is wrong by UK law and by General Medical Council). I will be honest - tell the patient I have a personal issue regarding this, I do not want to make the decision on your behalf, and you better speak with other doctors. In doing so, I have respected patient autonomy. I obliged to the law without compromising my position (I think). My duties of care here is:

(1)Protect life and health
(2)Respect patient autonomy
(3)Treat patient justly and fairly

Some might not agree with what I have in mind. Back home in Malaysia, abortion probably will be completely unacceptable, and doctors will just go straight saying NO. So, there is variations in which countries the doctors practice.Let's not touch how I answer exam questions.

Refusing treatment:

Its a bit complicated when relatives get in the way, coercing patient to undertake treatment (esp. when son/ daughter make decision about their elderly patients). If I have done my duty giving patient all necessary information, the consequence of not taking treatment, patient is mentally ok and competent in making decision, I will respect patient's wish. Not relatives' wish.

In all grey aspects, I will DOCUMENT (1000x)in notes. Be fair, and also protect myself in the eyes of the law.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home