Lotus - surviving life & remaining pure to urself

Wednesday, April 13, 2005

How much we really care for each other?

On my way to a meeting today, I have to change tube at Liverpool Street Station. I was on my way to westbound train when I saw a Caucasian guy with a reconstructed face, obviously very scarred from previous burn injury and I am pretty sure he had skin grafts on his face as well, begging for money on the platform. I was in a rush, so I just went pass him. Then I realised there is another minute before the train arrived, so I think, well, might as well give him some change. When I came back to him to pass on the change, he said," Put it in my pocket". Then I realise he has no hand at all - I can feel my heart was breaking. I fully understood why he ended up begging - with face that barely resemble a normal human face and no hand - who will employ him?

As the train arrived, I scanned the crowd of many finance City workers on their way home. Some of them looked at him with bewilderment, some with disgust, some just ignored him.

I really feel sorry for him.

In Malaysia, disability literally means a life sentence. That should change. Society should change.

Just, care a little bit, will you?

1 Comments:

  • There are people who care. The only problem is, as I see it, most people tend to lose that trait at a very early age. I mean, come on, caring about each and every unfortunate being that comes across your way generally will lead to yourself getting mugged or (in Malaysia, 'kena pau') kidnapped or some other nasty thing. Okay, maybe that's a gross generalisation, but then again, we're human. By nature we are prejudiced.

    That doesn't mean I don't care about these people. I do. But I also know there's not much I CAN do anyway.

    By Blogger Ahmad, at 3:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home