Lotus - surviving life & remaining pure to urself

Saturday, May 14, 2005

My job and their life

Taking a break from studying and am reflecting some thoughts.

You know why life as a doctor is pretty hard?

The thought crossed my mind when I did past paper questions (which has a huge chunk of real life issues on sociology, what to do in this situation etc..). Beside having to learn the sciences of disease and therapy, you spend the rest of your life sorting out other people problems. I love practising in the UK, there is so much you can do to improve patients lives although one has to be careful with the ethics and legal aspects (I have taken up medical defence union insurance policy).

When I start working soon, I will deal with family conflict, breaking bad news, patient anger and emotion, dealing with relatives, confirm deaths etc. Dealing with raw human emotions day in and day out. From medical aspect, any mistakes I made might costs someone else lives. Looking at my other friends who did other course (no offence, alright), gosh, I did for a moment envy their lives. Less time to worry about other people life.

It aches me when I think about medical practice in Malaysia. The less fortunate won't be able to afford expensive medical care eg: chemo, HIV treatment, prognostic improving drugs like statin etc. Which is why I adore NHS.. Poor or rich, you get the appropriate treatment except for long waiting time la.

Do you know that Lee Kuan Yew wife fall ill when she came to London, admitted to Royal London Hospital (THE NHS), then start demanding that she should be treated first? Of course no one at Royal London gave a shit (hey, all have to be treated equally ye, sapa dtg dulu diala treated first).I heard she wrote a complaint letter to our hospital. Sapa suruh pegi NHS, spend your money at private hospital la if you want to be treated first!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home