Lotus - surviving life & remaining pure to urself

Saturday, November 08, 2008

The flight

I just had to jot down my memory of my first flight to Isle of Man while the memory still fresh.

Since the direct ferry journey Liverpool-Douglas,Isle of Man has now stopped for winter months (and I now know why - refer to the worst boat journey), all 2 of us (since K flying to Manchester; that's where he lived with his wife) have been forced to take the flight or ferry to Birkenhead/Heysham.

The flight is tiny and it reminds me of Proton Saga somehow. The stairs to go into the flight is only like 4 steps,only 2 rows of tiny weeny seats on each side.I really pity any morbidly obese and any big burly Caucasian man. Thank God I am tiny.Seriously, if you have 2 obese person, they need to be repositioned so the flight is sort of balanced with the cargo.

Because it is tiny, you feel everything.

Very short flight; I think only take about or less that 20 mins.

The interesting bit is the landing.

Ho,ho. When we landed, the flight went bump bump. You know, like meloncat-loncat. Even our guest lecturer, the academic intensivist (ie anaethetist) guy from University College London Hospital said when he landed, the flight landed sort sideways and it is as interesting as his flight journey at Mount Everest camp. Seriously, if there is gales, the flight also "boing-boing sideways".

Then the annoying bit is the 20 pound taxi ride from airport to my flat. I thought this guy is blindingly tapping me dry. The journey is not far at all, if anything it is more or less the same distance from my house to Liverpool airport, and that cost less than 10 quids. Then I asked all my colleagues, and they all say yes, they are all charged 20 quids-ish for hospital-airport journey.Aiyoo..

I wish I can sign my own transport certificate.

One new thing I learn here is signing plenty of my patients air ambulance and charter flight certificates for inter-England medical interventions/treatment.. We don't have any haematologists, dermatologists, neurologists or neurosurgeons on this Island. I mean seriously, if you have blooming aneurysms, you need a lot of luck. The air ambulance probably take 2 hours to organise and if the weather is bad, you cannot leave the island at all - otherwise you risked not just killing the patients but air ambulance crews as well.

I am the ever optimistic person, ha!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home