Lotus - surviving life & remaining pure to urself

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

On travelling....& commuting

After the ferry ride on Monday (which caused me to miss my Cardiology Clinic; ended up with my F2 doing my clinic list), I have a lot of thought about travelling. If only...Man, I am longing for a place to properly put down my root, work at local hospital (and be done with the travelling & commuting)and then I can just concentrate on my life. My social life sucks, its difficult to keep friends as we keep moving and to be truthful, its much easier for me keep my friendship with my work colleagues. At least we go to the same course,know the same docs,can refer patients among ourselves, can wallow in self pity about career progressions, have bitchin sessions together etc...(this is sad.)

Of course with the career I have chosen, can kiss this goodbye lah..for at least another 6-7 years?

Ever since I came to this country, I have...

- commuting via tube from west london to east london for 5 years, rotating from one hospital to another. One of the worst one is when I did OBG at Southend (travel by tube, then train, then bus to arrive at the blooming hospital. Sick of London tube.

- Countless flights London Luton - Zurich when we were dating. There is one time I missed my flight, late by 5 minutes at the check in counter. I was so angry & ended up crying for 30 minutes in the toilet. Managed to fly in the next available flight the same morning. So sick with airport security by this time. I remember vividly September 11 - I watched the TV in Zurich Banhoff (train station).

- Daily commuting Blackburn - Manchester. Not too bad. Pernah la jugak stucked in traffic jam at M62 at 12 midnight!

- Yearly flight going back to Malaysia. I wished we are closer, mum!

- Isle of Man - Liverpool/Heysham ferry travel (can be up to 4 hours at time). So sick of it. Need to upgrade to flight during winter months. The Irish Sea is wayyyyyy too rough.



Lately, Liverpool does feel like home. Probably got something to do with the fact that now we owned our own house; but this city is getting more & more cosmopolitan look. Even at night terang benderang especially with the opening of Liverpool One.

Last night, I said I have got a tenner to the cab driver and he winks, Scouse, eh? That, did make me smile. I don't think I have the accent yet, mate. I am rootless.

Apparently my colleagues think I am garang to the juniors. At least I did not reduce them to tears like D did! I will "tegur" if my juniors making mistakes (K keep saying I shout to that "50 yr old SHO" - sapa tak marah, if any of my patients ended in ITU because of him, he will get it from me!);also not being able to do ABG 3 months into the job is unacceptable to me.

Again thinking about GP as a career.

It did frighten me how one can lose their hospital medicine skills when they work as a GP. Seeing how X cannot interpret blood gases, doesnt know how to manage emergencies, sending inappropriate people to ITU - it scares the hell out of me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home