Lotus - surviving life & remaining pure to urself

Friday, January 21, 2005

Do you want to grow old?

Pooja the registrar said sth that struck the very core of my heart during our ward round - "This is why I don't want to grow old. I want to die young". I was attending this frail looking 90 year old Somali lady who tugged my hand when I walked pass her. She speaks no English and I have absolutely no idea what she wants - she literally pulled me to go into the toilet with her. I asked the nurse what she want -the nurse said,"She probably want toilet paper. Go check". I checked, and toilet paper is there. Nonetheless, she keep tugging me, Pooja then called a nurse to assist the lady. Mind you, I don't mind helping her in the toilet, but my action can mean that the ward nurses not doing their job.

Anyway, what do you think about growing old?

I honestly admit that I wish I will not live a very long life. Imagine if you live till you are 90, after retirement, you prolly spend 30-40 years of life do nothing, which will later may predispose to depression, feeling of meaningless life and when people all around you died, you wish you have died earlier.I have seen a lot of elderly patients with curable illnesses, some choose to go down the route of treatment and investigation, some said they rather not to. Some starved themselves till they get really dehydrated and malnourished, which is when we saw them in hospital.

I saw a very lovely childless couple in their 80s the other day - I just could not imagine if one of them passed away, how the other half will cope. I remember one elderly lady I saw in clinic, telling me about how her husband died. They were preparing a charity party. She was home on that fateful day and her husband went out to invite some VIPs. When a police knocked on her door, she thought of nothing bad. They said,"Your husband gone now". She replied,"I know he is gone. Where to?". Her husband was found dropped dead in the street. She is still traumatised by the incidence - every time someone knocked her door, it reminds her about her husband death, and that was 5 years ago.

Sometimes I wonder if my choosen career has steal my zest for life?

What will you do in this situation?

- Mr M, 70s - has been starving himself to death. Refuse us taking blood whatsoever. Very malnourished. He wants to live no more.
- The 90 year old Somali lady, has refused eating since one of her daughter passed away.
- Mr A, 73, refused colonoscopy, and don't even care if he has colon cancer.Said he is old, no need for all these fussy.Although it is a known fact that we can cure colon cancer by surgery in patients of age 80s.
- Mrs W, 83, with Crohn's and severe OA, has started seeing goblins, and strange phenomenons. Now she' telling me she regret telling her son that, otherwise she will not be shipped to hospital.

P/S: Ed the PRHO (btw, remember my previous entry of Ed? Yes, he is the junior doctor in my team. Of all the people, he ended up in my team, what a coincidence.) said he is not keen staying in London for SHO job.

1 Comments:

  • Hmm... I have to admit that I'd prefer to die young (and by young I mean 60s-70s) rather than live to an old age and suffer the indignities of losing control of both my mind and my body.

    By Blogger DeLiRiuM, at 10:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home