Lotus - surviving life & remaining pure to urself

Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Social night

Went out for dinner with Prof. Kumar, Dr A Balinger, Pooja the registrar, the clinical attachment, 3rd year students. I actually just come back now, at 11.30 pm. All of us are having such a good time, not realising how late it is.

The more I know Prof. Kumar, the more I admire her. Salt of the earth, she is. All of us didn't believe her when she said she is not really that ambitious when she was young - all she wants to do is finish her degree and work in a village in India. She took BSc in case she could not finish her medical degree. She climbed the career ladder rather slowly,did the family things, and only successfully became a consultant in her 40s.

About 10 years ago (I wonder how old she is actually), to help her devise junior doctors timetable, she decided to swap her consultant role with her house officer for one day. Her bleep went off about 10 times in the space of 2 hours she started her PRHO job; she realised she didn't know how to prioritise her job, so much to do -taking blood, see patients, put venflon etc...and ward round is about to start. Since then she developed "bleep-free" lunch time for the PRHOs, realising how busy it was. She is very much in the Modernising Medical Career committee, it will be very interesting to see how changes going to occur in our future training.

She hates arrogance and limelight.

Listening to her story really soothes my worries and lifts my rather dampened spirit. Lately I feel I am not as ambitious as others. I am about to change my priority in life - putting my family first. I will enjoy medicine as it comes, taking my time.

Now I know I will be ok at the end.

To all of my lovely friends (especially those doing medicine), you all will be alright and I pray for our success in the future. Time will pass and all the pieces of our life will come together at the end. Be patient, love.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home