Lotus - surviving life & remaining pure to urself

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

In 20 years time...

Just need to jot down my thoughts after watching this inspiring? programme by BBC - Doctors in the making. They basically follow up 4-5 doctors journey from the day the passed final year exams in 1987, to housemans (working 120 hours per week) to where they are in 2007..

There is one lecturer in the programme telling all the students that this career is nothing like your expectation and it will change and consume your life forever. How true...it change me from the person I was to who I am today; and God knows who and what I will be like in the next 5 - 10 years.

Brought back all the memories of being housemans to me - the time when you are so down & depressed, endless works and how it ruined your life etc..All of them who are featured in the programme talked about leaving medicine during houseman year.... wishing they work as a secretary or dustman and finding own ways to cope. One of them end up leaving medicine for good after 10 years. There is this Dr J, who has such a multitude directions in his career. He failed his professional exams and moving into managerial position in hyperbaric medicine, doing MBA before finally found his peace working as A&E middle grade and he is happy both professionally and personal life.

Truthfully, I find myself refuse (or just cannot) imagine what I will be in 20 years time.Unlike most people, I never took the ambition to be a doctor seriously (and never even imagine myself studying abroad! ). I just think I am lucky and despite its up & down and emotional roller coster it took me with it, I am fortunate enough to do what I do now. (and please let me passed the exam).

In 20 years time,I wish I will continue to be happy & content with myself in whatever position or circumstances I find myself in.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home